The Corporate Counsel Conference 2018 is a two day conference that will be focusing on Spotting and Overcoming Disruptive Trends in the Legal Landscape.
9:00am – 9:45am
VIP Keynote Address
The Development of the Malaysian Legal Arena:
Where We Are Today, What’s Coming Tomorrow.10:00am – 10:45am
Communications Strategy of In-House Counsel
• Internal and External Communication
• Communication between in-house counsel and management (dealing with the Board, senior management and general management)
• When and how to keep messages simple yet comprehensive
• Dealing with multiple jurisdictions and cultural differences
• Differing styles for different stakeholders
• Does electronic communication make it easier or harder for counsels? What are the potential risks to be managed?
11:00am – 11:45am
Enforcing Competition Act 2010: Practical Issues and Challenges
• Malaysian competition enforcement – where next
• Reconciling competing requirements from different regulators
• Sector regulations and enforcement: Dealing with your regulator
• Fresh focus on vertical agreements – the concerns
11:45am – 12:30pm Impact of Fintech on Islamic Finance Islamic finance and Fintech innovation Blockchain & crypto-currency – Islamic finance opportunities Leveraging technology to offer Shariah-compliant investment solutions
2:00pm – 3:15pm
Panel Discussion: Complying with the PDPA and Getting Ready For Compliance with the GDPR
• Summary of the regulations
• Where does the GDPR come in
• What type of companies and industries need to comply with either or both of these regulations
• If a company is fully compliant with the PDPA, and needs to also comply with the GDPR – how big is the gap for complete compliance?
3:30pm – 4:15pm
IP Considerations in M&A Transactions
• Review of IP due diligence best practices
• Importance of IP due diligence in negotiating and drafting transaction agreements
4:15pm – 5:00pm
Constitutional Democracy in Malaysia
• What is constitutional democracy in Malaysia today?
• What should Malaysia aspire itself to be? What are the reforms needed to meet this aspiration?
• Is Malaysia a secular or Islamic state? Why are we even asking ourselves this question?
• Can or should the constitutional monarch (at the national and state levels) be more assertive in fulfilling its role, and how so?
9:00am – 9:45am
One Size Does Not Fit All: Best Practices for Using Contract Templates and Implementing
Standard Policies in Multinational Companies
• Best practices for multi-jurisdictional use of contract templates and implementation of standard company policies across the board
• Contract preparation using electronic and other contract templates, review and approval processes and efficient and effective processes for adapting standard company policies to local laws and cultural norms.
9:45am – 10:30am
RFPs to Get The Legal Services You Want
• A look at effectively using this popular tool to justify the ‘spend’ on external counsel
• Practical tips for designing a legal services RFP that meet your requirements each time
• How to decide when to completely outsource or maintain in-house legal services? Can there be a combination of both?
• How to discern if the fees quoted are reasonable?
• What type of benchmarking is best?
10:45am – 11:30am
ADR Saves Money: True or False
• What ADR options are best for which types of transactions and why?
• What are the potential costs that could be incurred based on the types of ADR available?
• How important is it to draft a good ADR clause in a contract? What wording is the most appropriate?
• For SMEs and tech start-ups working on tight budgets, which ADR mechanism is most suitable for them?
11:30am – 12:30pm
• Life cycle of an organisation
• When and why is there a need to restructure
• What circumstances can trigger such a need
• Remedies available to protect stakeholders
• Scheme of arrangement
• Corporate rescue mechanism
2:00pm – 3:15pm
Panel Discussion: Duties and Liabilities of In-House Counsel
• The importance of understanding the business and how the company functions as a business.
• Understanding the differences between legal/commercial/operational risks and how these are managed by the company
• Potential liabilities under the Companies Act 2016
• Dispensing accurate legal advice quickly- potential pitfalls
• How can digitisation help better manage the potential liabilities?
3:30pm – 4:15pm
Whistleblowing: To Blow Or Keep It In, That Is the Question
• Practical strategies to mitigate risks associated with whistleblowing reporting
The premier organisation for the corporate counsel community